Posted on 20 March 2014.
Wait, what? There’s a sixth faction??? OK, hold up. I wasn’t informed about this… I’m pretty sure there were 5 factions: Abnegation, Erudite, Candor, Amity, and Dauntless…yep, that’s 5. Where’s the sixth?
Okay, calm down. There isn’t a sixth faction…yet. Which is why, my dearest Divergent fans, we are giving you the chance to put that nagging voice in your head to sleep! Come on, admit it. You have always thought that some virtues or some personalities were missing from the factions. That this dystopian Chicago is a bit incomplete. Right? That’s exactly why, in celebration of the budding movie, starting Thursday, March 20, you can come into the library and fill out a form to tell us about your amazing ideas on this “sixth faction.”
This is a contest, just so you know, so get your game on! Our librarian panel will choose the most creative and unique “sixth faction.” Give us your best go, and make sure to fall within these guidelines:
1. Come up with a name for your faction!
2. Describe your faction. Tell us some key attributes and how these attributes are manifested in behavior, clothing, etc.
Ex: Abnegation members want their members to be selfless, always putting others before themselves. To show this, they wear grey, plain clothing, greet others with a polite, subtle bow of heads for respect, and are governed by a committee who set a role model of these actions. They are also one of the only people who feed the factionless.
3. Describe or draw your faction’s symbol.
Ex: Candor’s symbol (like on Four’s tattoo) is scales:
4. A color to identify your faction.
Ex: Blue is identified with Erudite.
5. Recommend a book from our library that your new faction members would read, or add any other cool information you want to include. (optional)
Ex: Dauntless members begin initiation by jumping off a roof into a black pit, the contents unknown.
6. Make sure to submit your bursting ideas by March 31st , along with your name, if you want to be eligible to win! Every participant can select a faction sticker, designed by our own Elizabeth P. ‘17 and Neha S. ‘17.
If your faction is selected as a winner, we will make a sticker of your faction’s symbol and hand it out at school!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask any of the librarians (Ms. Bergson-Michelson, Ms. Gomez, or Ms. Seroff).
And if you want to read like a faction member, there is a display of readings in the library appealing to each and every faction (except your sixth one). Go check that out!
The Divergent Crew
By Athena N ’19
Image credits: Elizabeth P. ‘17 and Neha S. ‘17